The ‘Queen’s Virtues’ were first introduced to the public as part of the Victoria Memorial situated outside Buckingham Palace, its enormous central monument featuring beautifully sculptured allegorical figures that personify:
The Victoria Memorial was commissioned shortly after the death of Queen Victoria in January 1901. Eminent sculptor Sir Thomas Brock was briefed to design the central monument in tribute to her extraordinary reign, and his proposal was approved by King Edward VII in the October of that same year. The monument and the surrounding memorial gardens were formally unveiled by King George V in 1911.
Brock’s monument takes centre stage. The gold-gilded winged angel of Victory stands at the very top, with the figures of Courage and Constancy at her feet. The four sides of the memorial’s lower level feature the figures of Truth, Justice and Charity and a magnificent, seated sculpture of Queen Victoria.